Monday, August 12, 2013

Fine and Edwardian Dandy

  I figured out something valuable today. If ever you find yourself falling out of your beloved wardrobe, just start adding more layers until something fits and holds everything under it in. Bay Area fashion is all about layering, right?
  I see a lot of style blogger ladies cuffing trousers/jeans over heels. Then they don blazers and smile down and to the side. I never understood this style choice*, but now I do! All sorts of style lessons for me today! I love my Naya Lightning boots and didn't want them covered up. I don't know if anybody cuffs bootcut pinstripe trousers, but if not, it is a thing now.

* I think it's to show delicate ankles. Totally cool. For my personal taste, ankles of steel that can kick through anything up to and including submarine doors. Boots will help with this. Your taste of course may vary.
  I wore the shirt tips/collar tips I featured in a tutorial here. I'm enjoying them a lot. The hardest part about wearing them is figuring out which two flaps of clothing I want to attach them to. I'm also digging this zara basic pinstripe shirt. I last wore it in another Steampunk-ish outfit. It's versatile, so far as Ye Olde outfits go.
  Have you figured out what this outfit has in common with yesterday's outfit yet? ... it's the ribbon from the box of chocolates again! I took it off the dress and made it a skinny tie.
  This reminds me of button bracelets from that time. Maybe I just have a thing for button bracelets in general.
  I hope you all have a fine week. I am linking up to Patti's Visible Monday because if you can't be seen in a Fitzgerald-era Steampunk inventor outfit (my roommate's description) what can you be seen in?
  I also took a picture of myself squatting in a most unladylike fashion so I could mentally hear my long-suffering mother's resigned sigh. It's good to start the week off with a smile. :D

Shirt: zara basic (thrifted)
Vest: FANG (thrifted, size L online)
Collar clips: DIY (tutorial here)
Skinny tie: Recchiuti chocolates box
Hat: Nine West (DSW, old)
Pinstripe trousers: Banana Republic (thrifted)
Boots: Naya Lightning (zappos, old)
Bracelet: CostPlus Word Market (old)

12 comments:

  1. such a cool outfit, I love all the influences, and the candy-ribbon! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These boots are absolutely cute and need to be shown. So cuffing the pants is a good idea. I love the layering with the vest and I love your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Steampunk outfits, how you have such amazing pieces from 'modern' sources and combine them and add those excellent details and achieve such a FANTASTIC 'ye olde' look. :-) It takes me sewing several pieces to get a look even close to the ones you put together! You have a great eye for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I wish I could take credit, the thrifting selection in SF is just stellar. I've thrifted in Sacramento, East Bay, the peninsula, San Jose, and nowhere is even close. Hard to go wrong when you have an embarrassment of riches from which to choose!

      Delete
  4. This is such a gorgeous dandy look! You carry off vests and hats so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You abssolutely have a great eye for assembling a "look". Love your roommate's description of it as "Fitzgerald-era Steampunk inventor outfit". You're cute stuff and cool all at the same time. Love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done it. This outfit is the epitome of adorable and you just look fantastic in it. *Applause!*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a Steampunk fan! Heavily closeted, but I could put a respectable outfit in a trice. My favorite internet time waster is Girl Genius.
    You look ready for anything, and *graverobbergirl* is quite right, you put the look together easily ... it really suits your figure! Just wonderful. So glad you showed up and out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I LOVE this outfit, Aya! This is one of my favourites. The layering, the vest, the hat, the cuffed trousers. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack. This outfit is just glorious. Good thing I'm not in the Bay Area, or I'd be mightily tempted to steal this entire outfit from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were in the Bay Area, we could thrift a whole new one for you! :D

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! The 4th detail shot is just perfect, your waistcoat and the chain. Like you stepped out of a Dickens novel ... x

    ReplyDelete