Saturday, August 24, 2013

A sash by any other name

Shirt: BKE boutique (thrifted)
Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft (thrifted)
Sandals: Laura sandals by Fitzwell (6pm.com, old)

  This full length Ann Taylor Loft skirt is new-to-me. I got it on the same thrift trip in which I found my shrug/cropped blazer.
  I was all, "Sweet, TWO things I've been looking for! Thanks, SF thrift store!"
  And the thrift store was like, "Don't worry about it, Aya. Congrats on summer school. See you next month."
  "Hey do you think I could also get-"
  "You're pushing your luck, kid."
  I might alter it to be narrower, more of the straight skirt look I want to wear with AZN tops like this one, but it was $5.50, lined, and the correct length for me. O.O  The plastic tag connector was still in it, so I suspect it's new. I think there is a well-off woman (or man!) in San Francisco with a 25" inseam who donates to that store. I donate some of my things in the hopes that s/he may find them and like them, too.

  I fell in love with this shirt when I found it a few years ago, but I haven't worn it much. I really, really like the sash because it looks kind of like an obi. Trouble is, it sits on my lower ribs, so I can't get it to lie smoothly. It's too tight when I inhale and sags when I exhale. It can be cut off and moved, but it sits on a full circle seam around the shirt's empire waist. I'm used to my wide belts sitting at my natural waist or just below it. Can I consult with all of you and get your suggestions? Sheila? Megan Mae?

   I'm mostly bed-bound for a few days due to an illness I put off for a month to smash through my chem courses. Don't worry, yesterday a wonderful PA-C took care of me and told me in no uncertain terms to never do that, and to take myself to the emergency room on Sunday if I haven't improved by then. Then she said my shirt was really pretty. I would have hugged her if I thought I could get away with it. So if I look a little stiff in photos, we can blame my kidney and not my camera shyness. :D
  I'm wearing my stash of soft, stretchy shirts while I am on the mend, because I can't physically do all the stuff involved in designing new outfits. I'll just sketch out new ones in my head to try later. :D

  Side-track!
  Patti of Not Dead Yet Style tweeted this link, a tutorial titled DIY kimono, and I like the looks featured, but I gotta say I disagree with the nomenclature the author used. In fact I believe the first words that came out of my mouth were, "Dude, that's a robe."
  I don't mean they aren't lovely ways to style the item, and I understand you'll probably get more hits and it sounds cooler to say 'kimono', but seriously, I think that there is a robe.
  Robe:
Kimono:
Robe:
Kimono:
  You're welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Love the look of this top with the sash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the textures in the top and sash. It looks like it sits at your natural waist in the back, just is too wide, styled to got up higher in the front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you are right. The top might not sit the same way on me it was sewn. I will cut it off the shirt and rearrange it and see if that helps. Looking at the photos, the unfinished hems are also pissing me off. I'm gonna sew those, too. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I would go with cutting the belt off the shirt, if that doesn't wreck the shirt - that way you could wear it with different things too!

    I agree. Dude, those are robes. Kimonos are much different.

    ReplyDelete