Thursday, May 23, 2013

Everyday Steampunk

  I think I've come up with a new outfit!

  I call this 'Everyday Steampunk', because it starts with a very simple business casual-type outfit (brown slacks and a button-down shirt) then says "Boooring!" and adds jewelry and a tank top that doesn't fit me correctly.

Everyday SteampunkEveryday Steampunk

   I've had Victorian on the brain since the last outfit post, so I was lying in bed thinking about what I could add under this tank top that would look right (Its straps are so long the bustline goes straight into Showtime territory. Seriously, look at the model.) when the thought occurred that brown trousers would look kind of steampunk-y and that I needed something with puffed sleeves.


  It's not perfect- I'd like to find a fitted button down with puffed sleeves that buttons straight up to the collar, and one without front pockets that stick up above the bustline of the tank top, but I'm pretty happy with it.

  If I look a little unfriendly in these photos it's because the wind has been 15-20 mph for the last week and I'm trying to keep my hair out of my face, my shirt and necklaces in place, and my watering eyes open for the camera. :D

Express jeweled locket

  This locket is probably the single best investment I have ever made so far as jewelry goes. I bought it when I was in high school from Express for about $20 and I wear it with close to half of my wardrobe. I've always had my eyes open for something similar, but I haven't had any luck.

  I also searched around the Internet yesterday and found Epic lady Steampunk Crystaline's blog (link is Japanese language.) She puts together gorgeous Steampunk Lolita outfits and makes her own jewelry. She also shops at my favorite Japanese clothing store, Ozz On Japan.

  For folks unfamiliar with Lolita fashion, it's a subculture of fashion in Japan. I normally find it too frilly for my tastes, but I really like what Crystaline has done with it. I'll definitely be looking to her blog for inspiration in the future.

Button-down shirt: BCX (thrifted)
Tank top: Free People Pieced Together Corset Tank (old)
Pants: Gap stretch flare (clothing swap)
Boots: Two Lips (thrifted)
Locket: Express (very old)
Sundial necklace: available at ThinkGeek

1 comment:

  1. I like this outfit a lot ... You look very nice and I love the necklace.

    ReplyDelete